1. STEPS is unique as we focus exclusively on providing mental health care through a collaboration of licensed mental health professionals and equine professionals.
2. STEPS strives to serve typically under-served populations or individuals who do not respond to or avoid traditional office-based therapy – namely military Veterans and at-risk youth.
3. STEPS offers a cutting-edge approach to mental health through the Step-Down Model enabling clients to not only get better but also supports them in staying better.
4. STEPS’ co-founder, Dr. Hallie Sheade of Equine Connection Counseling (ECC), is a leading expert in equine assisted counseling and has authored book chapters, presented at international conferences, and trains other professionals.
5. STEPS’ other co-founder, Paul Ziehe, is a Marine Veteran and therefore STEPS really understands the needs of military Veterans and families.
7. Dr. Hallie and her team have provided almost 5,000 hours of equine assisted counseling.
8. Equine assisted counseling works! Dr. Hallie and her team have seen 82% of Veterans with posttraumatic stress improve and 90% of children with behavioral or emotional problems demonstrate success.
9. More than 90% of clients believe that equine assisted counseling has helped themselves or their children when working with Dr. Hallie and her team.
10. STEPS’ relationship-focused approach isn’t just good for the people – it’s good for the horses too! Read more about the benefits for the horses here.
Dr. Hallie has joined STEPS, and through a Memorandum of Understanding executed by STEPS and ECC, has agreed to transfer ECC’s client base and partner/collaborator relationships to STEPS. Until the transition is completed, direct services will be sub-contracted to ECC. It is anticipated that it will take from 6 to 12 months to transfer all of ECC’s partner relationships and for STEPS to become insurance-credentialed as a Tricare and a Medicaid provider.